Brian Topp proposes plan to restore Canada's good name in the world
WINNIPEG - Friday, February 24th, 2012 – NDP Leadership candidate Brian Topp today released his plan to restore Canada’s good name in the world by re-committing the country to values of human rights, environmental protection and social justice.
“If one thing can be said with certainty about the world in 2012, it’s that the experiment with neo-Liberal globalization has failed in spectacular fashion, “ said Topp.
“The rhetoric spouted by global economic elites about the wonders of liberalized trade, the benefits of concentrated corporate power, and the emancipatory potential of unfettered markets masked a malign self-interest that has now revealed itself in the collapse of the global financial sector, growing world poverty, and environmental degradation that threatens all of humanity.”
Topp’s plan proposes seven key initiatives to begin restoring Canada’s international reputation:
· Canada should work with other nations to end the current economic and fiscal race to the bottom
· Canada should work for trade agreements that are fair trade agreements
· Canada should meet our responsibility to address climate change, which is in the best interests of both our environment and our economy.
· Canada should be a voice for justice and peace in the world;
· Canada should be a good partner in the world, committing seriously to the United Nations’ Millennium Development Goals;
· Canada should orient aid to supporting women and their families through gender-targeted development policies; and
· We should be good stewards of our armed forces, beginning with our servicewomen, men, and their families.
Topp has received the endorsement of New Democrats in every part of the country including Ed Broadbent, Roy Romanow, Lorne Calvert, Alexandre Boulerice, Yvon Godin, Françoise Boivin and Libby Davies because they believe that Brian Topp’s bold ideas and progressive vision are our best route defeat Stephen Harper and offer Canadians positive change
This policy document is the ninth in a series of policy documents that constitute the policy platform published by Brian Topp during the NDP leadership campaign. All of these documents are available online at www.briantopp.ca
Jim Rutkowski 250-812-1741
Julie-Maude Beauchesne 514-846-1398